Sunday, July 27, 2014

Comstock's History in its Entirety

Over the winter I took on what proved to be quite a task - that of building an every name index for
SOME OF THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF SCIPIO CAYUGA COUNTY NEW YORK by Austin B. Comstock. It was only 28 pages long, so I thought it would be an easy task. 
Silly me! 
If Excel is to be trusted, I indexed a total of 446 surnames. Kudos to Mr. Comstock for writing such an extensive memory of our area. 
I have transcribed all 28 pages of his text as well,  and each page is a separate entry on this blog. The index is also provided in the "What's New" section on http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nycayuga/ with a link back to the correct page of my blog for each surname. Many thanks to the Cayuga County Site Coordinator for this and for all his hard work in bringing information to us about our past.
The job of a municipal historian is to preserve and interpret the past through research, public education and promotion of local tourism as it relates to the history of the municipality. I believe the ordinary folks who shopped, ate, farmed and worshiped are what made it possible for our area to thrive and Mr. Comstock's History is a wealth of information on those people. I hope you enjoy reading it, and maybe find a relative or two in the pages.

No comments: